Lawyers & Solicitors in Gambia
Properties in Gambia: 00 220 437 2522

Solie Law Chambers

P..O. Box 1783, Banjul
2nd Street East,
Fajara "M" Section
The Gambia, West Africa

Tel: +220 437 2522
Cell: +220 799 0419

Web: Solie Law Chambers
Blog: Lawyers in Gambia
Twitter: Solie Law Chambers
Facebook: Solie Law Gambia

Free Legal Advice

If you have a legal problem in Gambia and would like a lawyer, solicitor or barrister to represent you, please telephone, email or write.

Our lawyers are happy to provide brief preliminary legal advice on any investment, business or personal legal problems you may have in The Gambia

Gambia Property Sales

Solie Law can help to guide you through the confusion and complexity involved in buying and selling a house, compound or piece of land in The Gambia.

Solie Law recommend that you contact us as soon as possible after you have decided to embark upon any type of property transaction. 

We can then give you independent advice in connection with Surveys and Valuations, Mortgages, Deposits, Estate Agents and a number of other features about which you need to know.

Buying & Selling Land or Property in Gambia

Most property buyers use the services of an Estate Agent to help them find a property.  Most (but not all) estate agents are, of course, honest, but however honest and helpful they may be you must remember that they are only paid if the property is sold and that they are not able to give you independent legal advice. 

Once you have found a property that you would like to buy you will almost certainly be asked to sign some form of reservation or preliminary purchase contract. 

It is far better to sign NOTHING until it has been checked by your lawyer.  This can, usually, be done quickly – see below.

Be very careful before using the services of the estate agent’s “own” lawyers.  Are they looking after your interests or the interests of the agent who is providing all their work?

Lawyers in The Gambia

Corporate Attorneys, Lawyers, Barristers & Solicitors
Property Lawyers in Gambia: Solie Law Chambers are commercial & corporate attorneys, lawyers, barristers & solicitors offering legal prperty services in The Gambia,
Free Legal Advice In Gambia
Property Market In Gambia: Solie Law Chambers are happy to provide free brief preliminary legal advice about any residential or commercial land & property transactions in The Gambia
Setting Up A Business
Land & Property in Gambia: Legal advice on buying, selling, renting or leasing holiday apartments, retirement homes, investments, developments, building land & compounds in The Gambia
Business Problems & Commercial Disputes
Holiday & Tourism Businesses: We advise on tourist and travel business properties such as eco lodges, guest houses, holiday hotels, beach bars & restaurants in The Gambia
Commercial Property Law
Commercial Properties: Legal advise on the rental, lease, sale & purchase of business premises, warehouses, shops, offices, factories, supermarkets, commercial, industrial & retail units
Debt Collection & Recovery
Property Disputes & Problems: Solie Law offer advice relating to property ownership disputes due to inheritance, divorce, family problems, mis-selling or non payment in The Gambia

Frequently Asked Questions: Buying & Selling Property in The Gambia

Do I need Official permission to buy property in Gambia?


Are there any restrictions on the form of legal ownership of a property in Gambia?

No special rules apply to foreigners.

Is the way you buy a house in The Gambia the same as at home?

Generally speaking and provided that we make the necessary checks, yes.  In Gambia there is hardly any more need to worry than there in when buying land or property at home.

Unfortunately, very often people buying property overseas take little or no legal advice and are far too “casual” about the purchase and about the signing of legal documents.  If they go about things in this way it can turn out badly.  They may find there is no title to the property, that it was built without planning permission… or that it does not even exist!

DO NOT DO THIS.  For your own safety, insist on taking proper, independent, legal advice.

Can you make all the same checks that you would make in The Gambia?

No. As we have already said, the systems are very different.  We can only do what is normal in the country where you are guying the property.  We cannot turn this into an ‘English’ transaction.  Sometimes the local procedure is not as safe as our system.  Sometimes it is better.  It is always different! Remember, though, that every year thousands of local people successfully and safely buy houses and apartments.

That is what we set out to do for you.

Should I buy a property direct from a seller or developer?

Increasingly, our Clients are buying directly from a seller or developer, without the intervention of an estate agent.  You still need to take all the same precautions.  EVEN SOME MAJOR DEVELOPERS SELL PROPERTY THAT IS ILLEGALLY CONSTRUCTED OR OT SAFE TO BUY.

What does the Lawyer do?

 In most countries in the world the lawyer plays a major part in the process of buying and selling real estate.

The lawyer is there to put on the public record the fact that the formal documents recording the sale/purchase have been signed in his or her presence and understood by the parties concerned.

Do I have to be in Gambia to complete the transaction?

The Seller and the people buying the house usually need to attend, in person to sign the Final Purchase Contract/Deed of Sale.  However, if this is inconvenient, arrangement can be made for a Power of Attorney to be granted enabling another person to attend on their behalf.  We can arrange for this to be prepared and it can, almost always, be signed near where you live.  We recommend that you give a Power of Attorney even if you intend to be present in person (which we also recommend).

What about paying the taxes due?

We will arrange for the payment of any Gambia property transfer taxes due in relation to the transaction.

 Is there a Land Registry system in The Gambia

Yes.  After the Final Purchase Contract / Deed of Sale has been signed the Notary will arrange for it to be registered at the appropriate Land Registry and for the payment or any Land Registry fees.